News on the aspect of Fashion, Lifestyle, Current Affairs, Entertainment, Technology, Business, Sports, Education e.t.c at your fingertips.

Sunday 15 November 2015

My Grandfather told me to quit Banking - DJ Casie

Chocolate city signee, Derin Philips also known as DJ Caise, speaks about his career and relives fond memories of his late grandfather, Deinde Fernandez, in this interview

What have you been up to lately?

I recently rounded off a production course. I needed to hone my production skills, so I enrolled in a three-month course in London. Musically, I am in a different level and sphere at the moment. It has been a great experience.

Do DJs also produce music?

Yes, and I am one of the few who do so. I produce all my songs. I am a DJ and a producer. I am signed with Chocolate City as an artiste and my songs are my creative works.

Do you write songs as well?

Yes, I do. I have written songs for Waje and Ice prince. I have a single with Bez, which has yet to be released. Most of the songs are just collaborative. I like to be part of a collaborative process.

Why did you decide to become a DJ since you could write songs and sing?

I do not want to sound cheesy, but I stumbled on it. While I was in the university, I had a friend who was a DJ. I became interested in the craft and he explained the process to me. I became curious and asked more questions. That was how I got into it.

You must have been a music lover too…

I have always been a music head. I was a choir member at my church and I was always the one in class that always made a lot of noise singing and rapping. When I got to the Reading University in the United Kingdom, I started work as a disc jockey while studying for my BSC Economics and MSC Finance. I guess music has always been a huge part of my life. I could not even fight off my love for music even if I tried.

But there are so many artistes now…

Yes, there are, but not all of them are multiple award-winning DJs. There are levels of DJs and we are all on earth to do different things. I went to a production and Deejay school abroad. I am well schooled in the art.

Did you work before becoming a professional DJ?

I worked with Guaranty Trust Bank for about a year before I became a DJ.

How did your parents feel when you left your job at the bank to become a DJ?

They felt like other parents would have felt, but at the end of the day, they realised I was serious and people have accepted me for it.

Are they now comfortable with the idea?

Yes, they are and they believe in my passion and focus as well. They also believe in the level I want to take my career to. Entertainment in Nigeria is an unexplored territory and it has not yet attained its full capacity. A lot more could be achieved with it. Licencing in Nigeria has not been fully exploited to an extent where an artiste can get paid if his or her music is being played in public. There are no laws governing adverts and commercials with music too. If there were structures, all these would be taken into consideration.

A lot of silver spoon kids such as yourself are toeing the music path, how do you intend to carve a niche for yourself?

There is a creative wheel that is currently sweeping across Africa. It is not only obtainable in Nigeria; it is happening in developed countries as well and the entertainment industry is equally developing. People who work in the corporate world have to relax and that is where entertainment is needed. Nigeria has gone beyond the days when artistes and DJs were looked down upon.

Do you still deejay at shows?

Yes, I do. I deejay at international shows mostly. I have performed at the MTV Awards and BET Awards among others. I am not just a DJ, but also a brand ambassador.

Do you think we have enough talented DJs in Nigeria?

An individual can wake up one day and decide to become a DJ, but being good enough is what makes the difference. We need people that can compete and represent the country internationally. Being a DJ is not all about being able to manipulate the turntable. It involves so many other processes.

Don’t you think the profession has become elitist and people from humble backgrounds may no longer stand a chance at succeeding?

No, that is not true.

Are you fully into entertainment?

I am a Lagos boy and that means I am also an entrepreneur; I look for opportunities and take advantage of them.

You are also a producer…

Deejaying and producing are very similar and I had reached a point in deejaying that I wanted to go beyond expressing my creativity using other people’s music. Producing has given me an avenue to create my own sound and express my ideas a lot better.

Your late grandfather, Deinde Fernandez, was a businessman, was he aware of your decision to become a DJ?

He was my maternal grandfather and gave birth to my mother; Mrs. Teju Phillips. My grandfather, who I was named after (I was christened Anthonio) was the one who told me to quit the job at GT Bank. I talked to him while I was working and he advised me to pursue my dreams and become an entrepreneur. He also told me that hard work was not enough to make me successful and that I must also be disciplined too. Being a DJ simply restricts me to a particular area. I own a record company, CM Entertainment, as well and I am still with Chocolate City. I have a label but I have yet to sign any artiste. There is no reason why I cannot go into politics or do other things. I am still getting to know the industry from the grassroots and the opportunities are quite obvious.

What was it like growing up as his grandchild?

He remained a mystery for a while. He was the typical Nigerian grandpa you could just frustrate. We never used to be close until I became a teenager and started having a personal relationship with him. I could call him, talk to him and he would advise me. He was good at that. More than anything, I appreciate his wisdom.

How did you accept the news of his death?

It was very tough. He really did well for me I miss him dearly. He was someone I could talk to when I had issues. He was a disciplinarian. His words were worth more than any amount of money and they will forever stay with me.

Your style has always been peculiar?

Yes, it has. It is Caise. Caise is the French word for money box.

Do you have a fashion house?

I have a fashion label that I am working on. That is part of my brand plan. My tunics are fashionable, comfortable and unique. I have quite a few of it and I also make for women.

Are you married?

I am not married. I am single and still searching for the right person. I am looking for someone that would support me always. Nice character is a pre-requisite because beauty can fade.

Which model or entertainer would you want to marry?

Nobody in the entertainment industry comes to mind.

What are your future plans with CM Entertainment?

We are working on a good structure, in collaboration with Chocolate city.

Copyright PUNCH.

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think

google-site-verification: google8f52b8f47671a4d1.html

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

C). 2014. Powered by Blogger.